Saturday, April 30, 2011

Home Home Home, at last!

Unreal as it feels, it is the truth! Not so long ago we collected our house keys and let ourselves into OUR OWN HOME for the first time since early June of last year. It was a ridiculously long travel-day to get here (considering Spain and Norway are on the same continent and all) involving an 8+ hour layover in London, but the whole day we were saying to each other: "it will be a long time before we do this again!". In fact I don't even remember the last time we got OFF of a plane and didn't know of when the next time we would be getting ON. Right now we have no plans to go anywhere, which is kinda weird. Maybe we'll go visit the in-laws in June, but that's only a ferry ride away.

Now we're home and it is nowhere NEAR sinking in that on Monday morning at 7:30 my alarm will go off and I'll be putting real shoes on and jeans that button shut and going to my office. In my first two weeks of work I'll be spending more time away from Juju than in perhaps the entire past two years combined. I'm not nervous or worried or stressed, because I don't really believe it is happening, it feels like just another "activity" that I get to do until I lose interest. I will be in for a rude awakening one day soon...

My heart breaks for Juju if not for myself. She doesn't have any idea what we are ever doing, and this is no different. There are perhaps an unusually large number of toys here compared to your run-of-the-mill hotel room, but "home" means nothing to her little toddler brain yet. Maybe she'll forgive me for disappearing for all of Monday, but by the time Wednesday rolls around she'll start catching on and I doubt the new routine will be a popular one.

In any case, we are home safely and trying to put our house back in order in only two days. Once the work week begins I don't really see myself pulling long hours in the basement sorting through boxes and boxes (and boxes and boxes) of CRAP. So I'm on a mission to get it done now. today. right this minute. Poor H., your heart goes out to him, doesn't it? It should. I'm really a terrible person to live with.

Oh well, I'll get over it. ;)

7 comments:

NMjewel said...

Welcome home! It might feel like you're moving for a few weeks... and Juju will wonder why there's no airplane in her future. You can take her out to look up in the sky. She likes that!
Your trip counter has stopped this morning. Last night you had less than an hour left meaning that it counted down to midnight Mountain Time.
"the party that wasn't" is listed in your: You might also like: With the beautiful party dress picture. Do you think it will still fit?

Amanda said...

Welcome home! I hope Monday goes well - let us know!

Anika said...

You guys welcome back to Bergen! :) Give us a call when you have time. Would love to meet over a coffee/ drinks .

hugs

Torill said...

How did the first day of work go?

pattie in Geneseo said...

back to Real Life! Hope it is a smooth transition for all 3 of you!

Randi said...

Good luck settling in. It might be rocky for a few days while you all get used to the new routine, but I expect that soon it will all be pretty smooth sailing.

NMjewel said...

Has Juju forgiven you for leaving every day? I think she's taking it quite well--as well as if there's always something new in her life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...